The Honors Thesis is composed of 3 semester hour classes culminating in the presentation of your thesis during your senior year as a requirement for graduation with honors in Business. Thesis courses are graded A/F, the grade is determined by the thesis director. The basic objective is to involve students with a faculty member of their choice on a project which is of mutual interest to develop their own research.
- All new Honors students will register for the first thesis class (3510) in your major, such as ACC 3510, in your first semester in the COB Honors program
- The second and third thesis courses will be completed with your thesis director in the following two semesters
- The goal is to have the thesis completed during Fall Semester Senior year and defended to allow for the Honors Student to focus on employment or graduate school applications in Spring Semester
Steps to Take
• All new Honors students will be registered for the first thesis class (3510) in your major, such as ACC 3510, in your first semester in the COB Honors program.
• The second and third thesis courses will be completed with your thesis director in the following two semesters. You will register for 4510 classes.
• The goal is to have the thesis completed and for you to defend during fall semester of your senior year and to allow the Honors student to focus on employment, internships or graduate school applications in spring semester.
- WCOB Thesis Payment Information [PDF]
- WCOBThesis Binding Process [PDF]
- Sample WCOB and University Honors Title Page
- Sample WCOB Honors Title Page
- Completed Thesis Title Page Example
Formtting and Binding Guidelines:
• Title Page: Each thesis copy submitted for binding must include an original title page arranged as set
forth in the attached sample with all pertinent information and required signatures. Students are
responsible for obtaining the signatures from thesis director, second reader and WCOB Honors Director.
Theses with incomplete or incorrect title pages will not be accepted.
• Students completing a WCOB Honors Thesis only should NOT include a line for the Director of
the University Honors College to sign. Only dual Honors students will need the additional signature.
University Honors College students should refer to the Honors website for further instructions.
• Abstract: Your thesis must include an abstract, which will become part of a digital archive of
theses abstracts on the NC Docks website.
• Digital Copy: One digital copy of the thesis in a physical format (Labeled USB) must also be submitted. The thesis must
be in a single PDF format. The abstract must be in a format that can be copied for downloading to the
website (i.e. Word document).
• Special Enclosures: If materials such as maps, CDs, or media need inclusion, please include them
with directions for including these items as special enclosures in the binding process. Special
enclosures must accompany each thesis copy submitted for binding.
• The thesis must have 1-inch margins on all sides, and a 1.25-inch margin on the left side to allow for
proper binding. Charts, graphs, photographs or other illustrations to be included must also follow
these margin requirements.
• All text must be double-spaced unless specific formatting rules dictate otherwise. Print only on one side, double sided printing will not be accepted.
Paper and Printing
• All thesis copies submitted for binding must be printed on at least 25% cotton bond paper.
ASU watermark paper is recommended and may be purchased at the Campus Bookstore or from WCOB
Honors Office –Peacock Hall 2101.
• All text should be printed on one side only; students must be sure to omit two-sided printing
options prior to printing.
• You may purchase additional personal bound copies of your thesis. The student will pay for those at a
cost of $13.00 each. Please see Samantha Fuentes for the Thesis Payment Form you will need to have
additional copies bound.
• WCOB will pay for the ONE (1) required copy to be bound.
• All thesis copies must be submitted on your thesis defense date.
• Each copy submitted for binding must be placed in an individual clasp envelope (9x12 or 10x13) with
your name appearing in the top right corner of the envelope. Copies that have binder clips, staples, or
any other method of containment other than the envelope will not be accepted.
• Each copy must include an original signed title page.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need an acknowledgements section? An acknowledgements section is not required, but may be included if you wish.
When submitting a digital copy for inclusion in NC Docks, does the title page need to be scanned with the signatures or can it be blank? The digital copy has the blank title page., Signed title pages are only necessary for bound copies.
If using an Excel file as part of the thesis project, how do I include this in the hard copy of thesis? It is suggested that you print out the Excel file in the best way possible to allow the reader to understand the spreadsheet. It is important to include this with the digital copy of your thesis, as you want those reading the thesis to understand the research.
Helpful Information About Starting Your Thesis:
- The list compiled below may be used by Honors Students to begin generating ideas for thesis topics.
- It may also be used to determine faculty that may be Thesis director and second reader options as they have directed thesis projects in the past and what thesis topics interested them
- WCOB Honors Theses Topics and Directors
Title Pages and Copies
The title page for the honors thesis is required in a specific format. The Thesis Director and COB Honors Program Director (and second reader and University Honors Coordinator if appropriate) sign the title page, indicating satisfactory completion of the thesis.
A minimum of one bound copy is required for the COB Honors Program Director and one digital copy for the Appalachian State University library. Before an honors thesis is accepted for binding, the thesis title page must be approved and signed. SIgnature pages are left blank for digital copies.
All thesis copies must be submitted on the Thesis defense day for the semester. One copy must be in digital format for the library and one copy must be printed for the College of Business (to be paid by the COB), and students may print and pay for any addtional number of personal copies they desire to have bound. See the Thesis Payment Form for payment requirements. Original signatures must appear on the title page for each printed copy that is submitted to be bound.
All copies and title pages must be printed on appropriate paper and follow the correct formatting found on the Thesis Formatting Information document. Each copy of the thesis must be placed in an individual clasp envelope (9 x 12 or 10 x13) with the student's name appearing on the top right corner of the envelope. Copies that have binder clips, staples, or any other method of containment other than the envelope will not be accepted.