Interested in an international internship, but not sure where to begin? Here are some resources to begin your search. And make sure to visit OIED's International Internships resource page.
For information on the process of applying for an internship for credit, funding for international internships and how to leverage your internship abroad on your resume, click here for the international internships guide(PDF, 193 KB).
Appalachian State University Resources:
ACT: Appalachian & The Community Together
- Website: act.appstate.edu/icdi
- Tel: (828) 262-2193 (main line)
- (828) 262-3032 (alternate line)
Appalachian State has developed partnerships with NGO's in southern India, Latin America, and South Africa. These partnerships allow for both student and faculty involvement via service-based internships and community-based research. You will be paying App State tuition/fees for the course credits you earn, and your room and board costs will be different depending on location—often-home stays are available for a small fee or the NGO may be able to accommodate you.
Students must be/have:
- Juniors, seniors, or graduate students
- Seeking academic credit for this experience
- At least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Completed a significant amount of service-learning and/or volunteer work (either domestically or internationally)
- Previously studied or traveled abroad in a developing nation (e.g., a mission trip, iASB, etc.)
OIED: The Office of International Education and Development
- Website: www.international.appstate.edu
There are some international business internships available through our exchange partner and affiliate schools.Here are three of these opportunities. Talk with a study abroad advisor about other possible opportunities.
- Chile - PUCV - Entrepreneurship Internship
- New Zealand -USAC - Communication & Marketing or Disaster Risk & Emergency Management Internship
- Vietnam -Duy Tan University - Hospitality Internship
Recommended External Resources for Finding an International Internship:
- Main Website: www.aiesec.org
AIESEC delivers active work opportunities and internships to prospective college students and recent graduates, with experiences offered in 127 countries and territories. With over 100,000 members, AIESEC is the world's largest student-run, not-for-profit organization. Each year, we present the challenging opportunity to live and work internationally, with internships spread across the global network in the fields of business, marketing, teaching, and technology. Most internships provide a stipend for food/housing but are unpaid. No fee to use the database. A match fee is charged once the internship is confirmed- this fee varies from $400-600 depending on the internship program.
Founded in 1963, Cultural Vistas is a non-profit exchange organization promoting global understanding and collaboration among individuals and institutions. They develop international professional experiences that create more informed, skilled and engaged citizens. Our programs empower people to drive positive change in themselves, their organizations, and society. Internships are unpaid. There is a $75 application fee. The program fee varies depending on food and housing choices. Scholarships are available through Cultural Vistas. There are some fully-funded specialty opportunities as well.
- Website: https://www.goabroad.com/
- Tel: 720.570.1702
Goabroad.com provides a database of verified international internships searchable by country and business focus. No cost for use of the database. Internships may or may not be paid, depending on the employer.
Additional External Resources for Finding an International Internship:
- Website: www.adelanteabroad.com
- Tel: (562) 799-9133
- Email: email@example.com
Adelante is a small, family run business that gets to know each participant through the placement process. The main office is based in California, USA, and there are Adelante Directors in each city and country where we have programs. All our US-based staff are seasoned travelers, most having lived abroad for two years or longer at some point in their lives. Our in-country staff are also inveterate travelers, speak multiple languages (including English) and have experience with foreign visitors and the education and tourism industries. Locations of internships include Spain, Central and South America, Scotland, and China. Costs range from $3,000 to $5,000 depending on location and duration of the internship.
- Website: www.cisabroad.com/intern-abroad
- Tel: 1-877-617-9090
CISabroad offers you the chance to work overseas for a month to a year. We customize each internship to your personal and professional goals: you can work in tropical rainforests, market products in fashion design, or guide tourists through museums. Internship locations include Australia, Europe, China, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Ghana. Costs range from $4,500 to $19,000 depending on location and duration of the internship chosen.
Globalinks Learning Abroad
- Website: www.globalinksabroad.org/study
- Tel: 1-800-980-0033
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Globalinks provide internships in Australia, New Zealand, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. Most internships provided are for academic credit only or are unpaid internships. Costs range from $2,000 to $10,000 based on location and duration of the internship chosen.
ICC: International Cross-Cultural Committee
- Website: www.japaninternships.com
- Tel: +813-5421-3880 (Japan)
- Email: email@example.com
ICC provides internships in Japan under categories such as business management, marketing, childcare, non-profit, IT, law, human resources, and many more. Costs of internships range from $5,000 to $6,500 depending on duration of internship chosen.
International Internships, LLC
- Website: http://international-internships.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Abroad.Home
- Tel: (866) 403-0448
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Internships LLC is a full service provider. They arrange for your housing, provide an on-site orientation and on-site support for all of their programs. International Internships provide university level students, of all nationalities, an opportunity to gain work experience abroad by undertaking an internship in a foreign country. Program fees and costs range from $600 to $5,250 depending on location and duration of internship, but there is a $500 deposit fee paid only if you are accepted into your program of choice.
- Website: www.projects-abroad.org
- Tel: 1-888-839-3535
- Email: email@example.com
Projects Abroad is one of the largest volunteer abroad organizations in the world. Founded in 1992, we send over 8,000 people abroad each year on a variety of service projects and internships overseas. Locations for internships include Asia, Africa, Latin America, South America, the Caribbean, and Eastern Europe. Costs range from $1,500 to $11,000 depending on location, duration, and type of internship chosen.
Spanish Studies Abroad: The Center for Cross-Cultural Study
- Website: www.spanishstudies.org
- Tel: (413) 256-0011
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the Internship Program, qualified students have the option to earn university-level credit for completing an internship. Internships available for Spain and Argentina. Internship Programs in Spain are semester and summer-long internships in a Spanish-speaking environment; homestays with local families Service learning and intercambio opportunities; and study trips and excursions. Internship, volunteer, and intercambio opportunities in Argentina; study trips and excursions; and guidance offered by Resident Director and support staff. Must have proficiency in Spanish. Costs range from $3000 to $15,000 depending on program.
- Website: www.studyabroad.com
StudyAbroad.com is a resource for students to find educational opportunities in other countries. This is an online directory of study abroad opportunities, internships, volunteer opportunities, and language programs. The directory can be searched by country, city, program type, and subject.
- Website: www.summerjobs.com
SummerJobs.com allows a summer job seeker to explore opportunities both locally and across the US, Canada and the world. Jobs can be searched by location or with position specifications.
The Education Abroad Network
- Website: www.educationabroadnetwork.org
- Tel: 800.585.9658
- Email: email@example.com
The Education Abroad Network provides internships in Australia and China. Most internships are for academic credit only and there is a $400 deposit fee paid only when you are accepted for an internship; it is also refundable. Costs of internships range from $12,000 to $17,000 based on location and duration of the internship chosen.
- Website: www.transabroad.com
Transabroad is a resource for students to be connected with volunteer opportunities, employment, and teaching positions all over the world. This platform dirrects students to other websites in order to find such opportunities.
UCI International Opportunities Program
The International Opportunities Program seeks to connect students to the hundreds of internships and programs available abroad. This page connects students to related websites and programs.
University of Minnesota International Study and Travel Center
This is the University of Minnesota's Learning Abroad Center, which is a resource even for non University of Minnesota students. These include service learning programs, language programs, study abroad, and internship opportunities.
Past International Business Internship Locations:
To connect with past international interns, contact Veronica Lozano-Toub, associate director of the Walker College of Business Career Services Center.
- African Inland Missions in Nairobi, Kenya
- Microsoft in Beijing, China
- Defond Group Limited in Chaiwan, China
- Mainland China Mission International in Changsha, China
- Kestro International, Shanghai, China
- Wenzhou Qiangbang International Trade Co., Wenzhou, China
- HelloEar in Xi'an, China
- Henry Hsu in Bangkok, Thailand
- World Endeavors in Atenas, Costa Rica
- Kardinal in Giogivski Raion, Russia
- Maxion Wheels in Manisa, Turkey
- La Grosse Boîte in La Rochelle, France
- Agility GIL Project Logistics in Hamburg, Germany
- Bayer Crop Science in Monheim am Rhein, Germany
- General Dynamics SATCOM Technologies in Duisberg, Germany (headquartered in Newton , North Carolina with additional offices in Estonia and India)
- Hirshvogel Automotive Group in Deaklinsen, Germany
- IPR Worldwide in Eppingen, Germany
- L'o Yachting in Mykonos, Greece
- Universidad de Alicante in San Vicente del Raspeig, Spain
- Muratbey Usak Sportif in Usak, Turkey
- Chateau de La Barre, Pays de Loire, France
- Dataconomy in Germany
- Hackealo in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- CI Intercâmbio e Viagens in Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Innovation Experience in Argentina
- Think Tank Workspace, Toronto, Canada