Faculty in Appalachian State University's Walker College of Business have selected App State's Best for 2021, the top students by business major and student organization. There are approximately 3,000 students in the Walker College; 29 have made the list.
"Our annual Honors Convocation brings together students with the best academic performance and top students participating in organizations to be honored for their outstanding performance," said Acting Dean of the Walker College, Dr. Sandra Vannoy.
The 2021 App State Best students are listed below.
Outstanding graduate students by major
- Master of Science in Accounting: Johanna Copley
- Master of Science in Applied Data Analytics: Lindsey Abdelfattah
- Master of Science in Business Administration: Darby Vereyken
Outstanding undergraduate students by major
- Accounting: Caleb Alston
- Computer Information Systems: Patrick Osborne
- Economics: Caleb Garbuio
- Finance and Banking: Samuel Crouse
- Hospitality & Tourism Management: Amalia Tsigas
- International Business: Marc Pfrogner
- Management: Hannah Ross
- Marketing: Kayla Sessoms
- Risk Management and Insurance: Katherine Cole
- Supply Chain Management: Makayla Wilkins
Top students by clubs and organizations
- Appalachian Supply Chain Club: Noah Shaw
- Association of Information Technology Professionals: Ashley Brim, Jesse Spillars
- Asociation of Student Entrepreneurs: Bravin Troy
- Beta Alpha Psi: Laura Tutterow
- Enactus: Isabella Riley
- Executive Impact Club: Peiman Ostadi
- Finance Student Association: Christopher Florentino
- Gamma Iota Sigma - Pruett Award for Outstanding RMI Graduate: Bailey Siner
- Hospitality and Tourism Management Student Association: Kelly McFeeley
- Appalachian Accountants/Institute of Management Accountants Student Chapter: Haley Carroll
- International Business Student Association: Pilar Rios
- National Association for Business Economics: Aidan McArthur
- Phi Beta Lambda: John Dostert
- Society for Human Resource Management: Taylor Lundy
- Walker Fellows: Kendra Stafford
Top overall student for 2020-21
The traditional Honors Day Convocation is also the forum to announce the top student overall for the academic year. The winner is chosen from the outstanding undergraduate students in the ten academic programs.
Caleb Alston, who earned the best awards for accounting, has also earned the top student overall honor for 2020-21. Alston is double major and has maintained a 4.0 GPA while also taking on leadership roles in extracurricular clubs.
Associate dean of undergraduate programs, Dr. Tracy Reed, said that "choosing the top student overall award for the Walker College is always a difficult choice since all of the students being recognized have accomplished amazing things in their careers at Appalachian. However, Alston is unique and has exhibited an almost insatiable desire to learn, do, excel and make a difference."
Alston said that he is proud of his ability to manage his time and the work ethic he has developed while at Appalachian. After joining the field of public accounting, Alston plans to develop his own area of expertise in the tax field as he moves up the ranks in an organization. After gaining experience in the field, he plans to shift to the banking industry.
Alston is the 43rd Appalachian student to be named to the list of top students since 1984 online, business.appstate.edu/top-students.