Each year, Appalachian State University's Alumni Association recognizes individuals who have made a lasting impact on society and on Appalachian State University through outstanding professional, philanthropic or volunteer accomplishments.
The 2023 awards were presented on Saturday, July 15 during the annual Alumni Association Awards Gala, and among the award recipients were Walker College of Business alumni.
App State Alumni Awards
C. Philip Byers '85 was named the Distinguished Alumni Awardee. The Outstanding Service Award Recipient was Brian "Scotty" McCullough '88 '98, and Stacy Roberson Reedy '06 '07 earned the Young Alumni Award. Reedy holds bachelor's and master's degree in accounting from the Walker College, and both Byers and McCullough hold a bachelor's degree in healthcare management. The healthcare management program was housed in the Walker College before the Beaver College was founded in 2010.
Walker College Distinguished Alumni
Phil Ostwalt was named the distinguished Walker College of Business alumnus, an award first presented in 2022.
Phil Ostwalt '83, distinguished Walker College of Business alumnus for 2023, with Walker College of Business Dean Sandra Vannoy
Phil Ostwalt '83
Having earned his accounting degree from App State and an MBA from Georgetown University, Ostwalt volunteers time and business acumen as treasurer of the Appalachian State University Foundation Board and as chair of the Walker College of Business Advisory Council. He serves as treasurer of the High Country Impact Fund, providing support to early-stage, high-growth companies in Northwest North Carolina.
Ostwalt is president and CEO of DL Phillips Investment Builders, Inc., a third-generation, family-owned, commercial real estate business. He is a Certified Public Accountant and Certified Fraud Examiner who practiced accounting for more than 35 years, holding US and global leadership roles for KPMG in risk consulting, forensics, and investigations.
Passionate about helping hard-working people seeking to ‘do good’ for their families, their community, and the world, Ostwalt recently completed extensive training to become a Certified Professional Coach, supporting business executives, entrepreneurs, and professionals in the accounting and consulting fields.
Complete List of 2023 Awardees
App State Alumni Awards
- C. Philip Byers ’85 received the Distinguished Alumni Award, which recognizes individuals who have attained extraordinary distinction and success in their career field and have demonstrated exceptional and sustained leadership in their community.
- Brian “Scotty” McCullough ’89 ’98 received the Outstanding Service Award, which recognizes individuals for their exceptional service to the university.
- Stacy Roberson Reedy ’06 ’07 received the Young Alumni Award, which is given to individuals under 40 years of age for their exceptional service to the university and accomplishments in their career.
Distinguished Alumni — academic colleges
- Honors College - Dr. Stephanie Smith Thomas '10
- College of Fine & Applied Arts - Dwayne A Stafford '99
- College of Arts and Sciences - Ashley-Nicole Russell '08
- Reich College of Education - Mary Moretz '64 ’66
- Walker College of Business - Phil Ostwalt '83
- Beaver College of Health Sciences - Shana Bonner Pitts '09
- Hayes School of Music - Dr. William Harbinson '75
About the Walker College of Business
The Walker College of Business at Appalachian State University delivers transformational educational experiences that prepare and inspire students to be ethical, innovative and engaged business leaders who positively impact our community, both locally and globally. The college places emphasis on international experiences, sustainable business practices, entrepreneurial programs and real-world applications with industry. Enrolling approximately 3,600 undergraduates in 10 majors and 175 graduate students in three master's programs, the Walker College is accredited by AACSB International – the premier global accrediting body for schools of business. Learn more at https://business.appstate.edu.