Appalachian State University's Bowden Investment Group (BIG) recently published its January 2021 BIG Update, which includes a letter from the president, a game plan for the future, an update on preparations for the CFA Research Challenge, the fund's 2020 overall returns, an economic outlook and some "interesting stock market facts learned in class," which are listed below.
- 2020 set a new record for the numbers of IPOs
- More than half of the 2020 IPOs were for SPACs
- There are more ETFs than there are U.S. public companies
- More than 80% of stock trades are automated
- Short squeezes are only sustainable if new buyers outweigh sellers taking profits
- Global world stock exchanges have a cumulative capitalization of over $85 trillion
- The technology sector accounts for more than 20% of the U.S. stock market capitalization
- There have been 18 economic recessions (including the current recession) in the past 100 years — averaging one every five and a half years (the current bull market has persisted for 10+ years)
About the Bowden Investment Group
The Elbert V. Bowden Student Managed Investment Fund was established in January 2000 with the purpose of providing students with an opportunity to obtain hands-on investment experience and to provide funds to benefit the students and faculty in the Finance, Banking and Insurance department. Learn more at big.appstate.edu.