Staff at Appalachian State University took to campus grounds recently to paint handrails, remove litter and perform various other tasks as part of a second annual, staff-coordinated, community service project.
More than 100 volunteers from approximately 20 areas on campus came together to spend three hours working together during the morning of May 22, 2018.
Participating teams were:
- The Outstanding Rembrandts (Office of Research)
- The Money Monets (Office of Scholarships)
- The Rail Good Workers (Office of International Education and Development)
- OIED's Off the Rails (Office of International Education and Development)
- Artists with Attitudes (Academic Affairs)
- Not for the Paint of Heart (Counseling Center)
- Purple Peacock Picassos (Walker College of Business)
- A Stroke Above (Walker College of Business)
- The Peacock Paint Sniffers (Business Career Services)
- Advancement Artisans (Advancement Services)
- Painting at the Disco (Student Learning Center)
- RailHawks (Information Technology Services)
- The Rogue Rollers (from a variety of campus areas)
- Enrollment Rollers (Admissions)
- Team Awesome (Equity Office)
- The Ulterior Motifs (Student Conduct)
Physical plant administrators said the staff members helped perform the bulk of the aesthetic work in advance of the 18-19 academic year. "From here on out it's summer session, camps, conferences and App Summer," said Michelle Novacek, Business Process Analyst for the group.
Novacek presented awards to winning teams on Sanford Mall at the culmination of the event.
- The Peacock Paint Sniffers earned the Best Name Award.
- Artists with Attitudes earned the Best Team Spirit award for their group song and student-designed, matching t-shirts.
- Team Awesome and The Ulterior Motifs teamed up to win first place in the Best Performance category, with the Enrollment Rollers taking second place.
The day was coordinated by the Walker College of Business' Walker Impact Network (WIN), which aims to support staff excellence and aspires to support the college's vision, mission and values and its strategic directions, particularly to enhance community engagement.